Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Rendering of Accounts (By a Soldier)

Written and performed in Daman for raising funds during the Kargil conflict.


V1 It’s been a long, and hard journey Lord
I’ve traveled into No Man’s Land
Through good times, bad times, rain, sun and snow
Forgetting you when the going was good
And blaming you Lord
When the going got too rough

V2 It seems like it were yesterday, Lord
I’d set out with my ‘brothers-in-arms’
But, Alas! Time waits for no one
The day has come and I stand before you Lord
For the rendering, of my accounts

CH Lord, I hereby render my accounts to You
Of what I have done and of what I have failed to do
The fighting weapon fate thrust into my hands
I did let go at the enemy
Some I shot down as they ran
But one took a shot at my heart, Lord
There’s a name on every bullet
Fighting is all I can do, Lord
Fighting is all I have done

V3 When I arrived at Kargil battlefield
The whole world lay there at my feet
I took my turn at the LoC then
And tried my best to defend my Motherland
But its only human when
You shudder beneath roaring Bofors guns

V4 It seems like it were yesterday, Lord
I kissed goodbye to my family
Tell them, I don’t feel the pain and cold now
The day has come and I stand before you, Lord
For the rendering, of my accounts

NOEL GAMA
16.07.99

No comments: