Thursday, September 15, 2005

Girl Child

Dedicated to the girlchild.

1. A new child is born
And you’re filled with great happiness
And if you really love your mother
You’d be proud to be the father of this child
As a sign of your love and affection for her
When a Girl Child is born

2. Give the child a fair chance to survive in the world
Give her all the care, love and attention she’ll need
And though she may outshine the little boy at the back of your mind
All she’ll ever ask for is to be treated as a friend, a partner, an equal, no more

3. Woman, you’re not alone
The Man who saved you from hypocrites’ stones
And worked great wonders in your honour
Has shown us what we should have known all along
Oh! Well, now we are here to celebrate the birth of a beautiful Girl Child

4. You called my name and clothed my naked body
You sheltered and cherished me 9 months, day and night
You quenched my thirst for life with your blood
And, as if that were not enough
You risked yours for mine
So I could take my first breath
Unconditionally, you accepted me


Noel Gama
29.09.1990

No comments: